Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Just some basics...


Alright, so I think I'm just going to teach you guys some stuff about Thailand you can't really know until you get here-- you don't have to really live here for these lessons, but who knows, maybe I'll add some insight once I figure it out myself. As for now--some basics...

Thailand is about 198,000 sq. miles, or about two Oregons... I don't know, i just read that somewhere--I've never even been to Oregon. So the capital is Bangkok (duh) and I am living there. There is about 61 million people and something like 9 mil live in Bangkok. Not really that many-but it feels like everyone lives here.

The official language is Thai--which is a BITCH to learn--more on that later. Most people are Thai, but there are also a lot of Muslims in the South--mostly because it borders Malaysia and they have a HUGE Muslim population. There is a lot of political turmoil in the South. Probably more on that later too--as I figure it out myself.

So what else-- oh yeah, the weather. ITS FUCKING HOT. Its hot all the time. Unless you are inside a building--then its cold--really cold. But those first 2 minutes when you walk in is like heaven. A refrigeratored heaven. And it rains--and even when it rains it is hot. Luckily I will miss the monsoon season which is from May to September.

Now the time is GMT +7... the math works like this from California--add two hours (three in a week after DLST) and then change the AM/PM... so 8pm in Cali is 6am here. So on and so forth.

Now, I know I already mentioned I am working at Assumption University, but I added a little GMap just cause I was able to figure it out!


View ABAC in a larger map

So I leave you with all of that for now. I got some great stuff to share about my actual time here... but I thought it would be good to just set a bit of the principals for you...

Just some of B Mart's practical Thai.

Laaeo Phop Gan Mai! (See you later!!)
B



No comments:

Post a Comment